The IETF Security Area
Welcome to the IETF Security Area Home Page. We will be posting information here related to Internet Security and the Security Area.
The Security Area consists of the Security Area Directors Stephen Farrell and Kathleen Moriarty and the Security Area Working Groups, listed below. Some status for Security Area Director activities can be found at [insert link here].
The Security Area is also concerned with the appropriate application of security mechanisms in protocols developed by working groups in other Areas of the IETF. In some cases, the Security Area provides a Security Advisor. A brief list highlighting working groups with documents that are particularly relevant is supplied below.
The Security Area Directors are assisted by a Security Directorate. The directorate is composed of the working group chairs in the Security Area and a group of individuals who act as advisers to other areas of the IETF at the request of the Security Area Directors.
SAAG Mailing List
The Directors and the Directorate are supplemented by the Security Area Advisory Group (SAAG). The SAAG acts as an open forum for Security Issues. Anyone can join the SAAG mailing list and are welcome at the SAAG meetings held at IETF meetings.
The Security Area Advisory Group mailing list is the SAAG mailing list. You can subscribe to it via the web at the SAAG page. The list archives are at the SAAG archives. (Note: The mailing list used to be firstname.lastname@example.org, but was moved to ietf.org servers in July 2008.)
Significant Working Groups in other Areas
Non-WG Initiatives and Topics
Security area leadership (past and present):
- Steve Kent - Served on the IAB, with an focus on security, before the IESG was formed.
- Steve Crocker - Served from 1989 to March 1994.
- Jeff Schiller - Served from March 1994 to March 2003.
- Marcus Leech - Served from March 1998 to March 2002.
- Steve Bellovin - Served from March 2002 to November 2004.
- Russ Housley - Served from March 2003 to March 2007.
- Sam Hartman - Served from November 2004 to March 2008.
- Tim Polk - Serving from March 2007 to March 2011.
- Pasi Eronen - Served from March 2008 to March 2010.
- Sean Turner - Serving from March 2010 to March 2014.
- Stephen Farrell - Serving from March 2011 to Present.
- Kathleen Moriarty - Serving from March 2014 to Present.
Left to Right: Steve Kent, Steve Crocker, Jeff Schiller, Marcus Leech, Steve Bellovin, Russ Housley, and Sam Hartman.