Transport Area Directorate
The transport area directorate is an advisory group of transport experts. The notion of a directorate is defined in RFC 2418 as follows:
In many areas, the area directors have formed an advisory group or directorate. These comprise experienced members of the IETF and the technical community represented by the area. The specific name and the details of the role for each group differ from area to area, but the primary intent is that these groups assist the area director(s), e.g., with the review of specifications produced in the area.
The directorate is best thought of as a convenient way to contact a group of transport experts within the IETF.
The area directors invite TSV area WG chairs and other qualified individuals to participate in the directorate, to take advantage of their expertise in transport-related fields. Individuals who wish to join the directorate should contact the transport area directors.
The area directors use the feedback from the directorate when making decisions on a range of topics related to the IETF transport area. The area directors might consult the directorate for the following activities:
- Review of selected documents within the transport area, usually during working group last call.
- Review of selected documents from other areas of the IETF, usually during IETF last call or IESG Evaluation.
- Review of proposals for BOFs, for creation of new WGs, and for revised charters.
- Cross-area technical advice, possibly serving as informal or formal technical advisors in working groups in the transport area or other areas in the IETF.
- Cross-SDO technical advice, contributing their expertise to transport-related liaison work with other standards organizations.
As with all IETF activities, participation is a volunteer effort, so members are free to decline any request from the area directors.
The directorate is not a formal review body; the IESG has that role. Therefore, comments made by the directorate have no more weight than those made by individual IETF participants.
TSV-Directorate-Reviews describes the current guidelines for TSV directorate reviewers.
The current directorate members, together with any formal function they have on behalf of the directorate, are:
|David Black||transport advisor to the PWE3 working group|
|James M. Polk|
Individuals who wish to join the directorate should contact the transport area directors.
The transport directorate mainly operates via the mailing list at http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsv-dir. This is a private list for the members and ADs.