Ticket #109 (closed design: fixed)
Clarify entity / representation / variant terminology
|Reported by:||email@example.com||Owned by:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Component:||non-specific||Severity:||Active WG Document|
The information transferred as the payload of a request or response. An entity consists of metainformation in the form of entity-header fields and content in the form of an entity-body, as described in section 7.
An entity included with a response that is subject to content negotiation, as described in section 12. There may exist multiple representations associated with a particular response status.
A resource may have one, or more than one, representation(s) associated with it at any given instant. Each of these representations is termed a 'varriant'. Use of the term 'variant' does not necessarily imply that the resource is subject to content negotiation.
These terms have caused confusion, perhaps because they imply server implementation details more than on-the-wire behaviours. E.g., from the client's perspective, is there any difference between the three terms?
- Owner set to email@example.com
- Milestone changed from unassigned to 04
- Owner changed from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com
comment:17 Changed 5 years ago by firstname.lastname@example.org
- Status changed from new to closed
- Resolution set to incorporated
- Milestone changed from unassigned to 11
comment:18 Changed 4 years ago by email@example.com
- Status changed from closed to reopened
- Resolution incorporated deleted